With the emergence of Gen Y’s into the workforce, many baby boomers have had to review their professional image and inject some youth and vitality into their appearance.
With experience comes competence, however the balance of careers and family can be draining. Improving your image is like money in the bank. When you look professional, you will be deemed competent and attached a suitable price tag for your abilities.
Five techniques to ensure your capture the right attention.
1. Your professional work wear should be simple and classic designed to complement your body shape and personal colouring. There is no better time than this winter to reinvent your professional image. The current winter trends are classic, elegant and ideal professional work wear. See retailers such as Petrol, Marg K or Jigsaw for unusual signature pieces.
2. Colour is incredibly important. Selecting darker core garments and suits are consistent with professionalism, authority and credibly. Wearing whites, creams and very dark colours around your face can drain your colour making you appear tired, stressed and detract from our abilities.
3. Consider the colour contrast when co-ordinating your outfit. Dark colours teamed with dark colours or light with light are low contrast while elegant and sophisticated they can be deemed ineffectual, matronly and often blend into the background. While medium contrast builds rapport, and is deemed the most friendly and approachable of the colour combinations. For example navy and sky blue, charcoal and purple presence co-ordinates remain professional.
4. Make a statement with some bold colour or brand yourself with your personal best colours. Elect to get noticed with a signature colour overcoat. These should be teamed over styles which elongate the body and give the slimming illusion of height and authority. See affordable label ‘Anon’at Jean Brown Robe.
Sabotaging your career and your income potential is easy if you overlook your appearance. Very few people can get away with a comb over or coke bottle glasses unless of course you’re Donald Trump or Woodie Allen.
Take control of the decisions others are making of you.
Jump the Q can assist you in building and leveraging your professional image to better reflect your true potential. For some tips on updating your professional image download our Free eBook ‘Making Your Mark’.
Brand Yourself! And Jump the Q! Your personal brand should reflect your abilities and potential. Rachel Quilty, Personal Brand Strategist, known as ‘the Authority’ on personal branding and author of must- have book ‘Brand Yourself’. Go to http://www.JumptheQ.com.au for FREE strategic branding tips. Rachel encourages Jump the Q clients to think strategically when developing a personal brand to get that job offer, gain that promotion or win that client.
Jump the Q assists you to strategically and systematically leverage your professional profile and build your personal brand to become the authority in your industry. Get your free personal branding tactics and tips at http://www.brandyourselfblueprint.com
We assist you to develop your Personal Brand Strategy by:
- Discovering your purpose.
- Designing your best personal brand.
- Devising a personal marketing plan.
- Developing your Signature Brand.
Copyright permission: You have permission to use this article by respecting the copyright by publishing the entire article as it is with no changes and by agreeing to include the above reference at the end of the article, or where you quote the author in which case please include the authors name and company name. In the event you wish to use any or all of this content please advise Jump the Q.